Congratulations Deborah Watkins, EMHL ’15! Startup Wins Business Insurance 2018 Innovation Award

Deborah Watkins, EMHL ’15

Congratulations to Deborah Watkins, Brown University Executive Master in Healthcare Leadership (EMHL) Class of 2015. Care Bridge International, the company she founded only three years ago while pursuing her EMHL degree, won a Business Insurance 2018 Innovation Award.  A major force for change in the healthcare space, Care Bridge offers data-driven technology based solutions for future medical evaluations, medical reserve setting, underwriting, claim settlements, litigation, Medicare Set Asides, and care coordination.

As the company’s Founder and CEO, Watkins credits EMHL for providing the space to launch Care Bridge, and the access to leading experts in data-driven decision making, finance, and IT to make it happen. According to Watkins,

The inspiration for Care Bridge evolved during my studies, but the night a guest lecturer spoke on funding and finance, I knew Care Bridge could become a reality.  Because of the small size of the class, I was able to sit down with this financial expert, professors and cohort members and brainstorm the business model for my own project.

From that point on, Watkins dedicated her EMHL experience to building a business plan for Care Bridge.  

Originally my Critical Challenge Project (CCP) centered on the development of a new product for the dual eligibility market,  while CEO at a prior company. In the course of my research at Brown, I discovered that Life Care Planners have been using a methodology to forecast payments that had never been validated. Using data-driven business models, following completion of the EMHL program, I developed data intelligence- and technology-based solutions to improve payer performance.

Fast-forward to today, Care Bridge continues to grow rapidly. Watkins shared,

The support of EMHL gave me the confidence to start my own business. The high-touch access EMHL offered to experts – both professors and cohort members – in data driven decision-making, finance, and IT was absolutely invaluable to my current business success.

The Business Insurance Awards recognize innovative products and services designed for professional risk managers. Other 2018 award-winning organizations included American International Group Inc., FM Global, Gallagher Bassett Services Inc., Hiscox Special Risks, a unit of Hiscox Ltd., Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., Marsh L.L.C., Marsh L.L.C., Metabiota Inc./Munich Reinsurance Co., The Institutes.

The award-winning entries will be profiled in the November issue of Business Insurance, and the winners will be recognized at the U.S. Insurance Awards to be held in New York in March 2019.

We encourage you to visit Care Bridge International to learn more about this exciting company.

To read the rest of the Business Insurance release, go here.

Want to connect with an admission advisor?

X