Linn Freedman practices in data privacy and security law, and complex litigation. She is a member of the Robinson+Cole Business Litigation Group and chairs the firm’s Data Privacy+Security Team.
Ms. Freedman focuses her practice on compliance with all state and federal privacy and security laws and regulations, as well as emergency data breach response and mitigation. She counsels clients on state and federal data privacy and security investigations, litigation and data breaches. Ms. Freedman works with companies and organizations to adopt a risk management approach to precisely frame the purpose and means for the collection, maintenance, and transfer of high-risk data throughout their organization. She advises them to identify high-risk data – both paper and electronic – and to implement measures to protect it and help them develop defensible, and reasonable, approaches to comply with constantly evolving regulatory requirements and the risk of a data breach. She has recently helped clients in the following areas:
- Data mapping and development of enterprise-wide privacy and security plans
- Developing approaches to comply with various data privacy and security requirements
- Compliance with industry-specific privacy and data protection regulations, including TCPA, COPPA, FCRA, FERPA, HIPAA, CalOPPA, and the Gramm Leach Bliley Act
- Compliance of Written Information Security Plans (WISPs) with Massachusetts data regulations
- HIPAA compliance programs and employee awareness training
- Electronic health records and patient portals
- Data use and sharing agreements for health information exchanges
- Data breach response, remediation, coordination, and litigation
- Multiple investigations by the U.S. Office for Civil Rights
- Privacy and security investigations by state regulatory authorities
- Guidance regarding the privacy and data protection implications associated with the deployment of mobile communication and data storage technologies
- Guidance regarding mobile applications and location-based services
- Website privacy policies and terms and conditions of use
- Social media policies, practices, and procedures
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Freedman was a partner at Nixon Peabody, LLP, where she served as leader of the firm’s Privacy & Data Protection Group. She also served as assistant attorney general and deputy chief of the Civil Division of the Attorney General’s Office for the State of Rhode Island.
Ms. Freedman received her J.D. at Loyola University School of Law.