How Does Arvin Singh EMHL ’19 Do It? Mid-Program-New COO & Marriage

Brown University Executive Master of Healthcare Leadership Class of 2019 Arvin Singh has had an action packed ride through the course of his EMHL journey.  He launched a new rideshare transportation service for patients at John Hopkins, got married, and about six months ago assumed a new role as the current Chief Operating Officer at the Odyssey House (OHL), a non-profit behavioral health care provider with an emphasis on addiction treatment, in the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC) Network. In this role, he oversees a dizzying range of responsibilities and reports including all programs, administration, CMO, and the CTO.

With graduation just a couple months away, we thought we’d catch up with Singh to find out how realistic it is to complete an EMHL degree with so much going on in his life.  Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised since he hails from the Obama White House Educational Opportunity Program, championed at the national and state level in chess, and simultaneously completed an MBA and MPH from Penn State and George Washington University in two years. He’s also a workout enthusiast.

But, according to Singh, it’s the design of the EMHL program itself that made all his recent accomplishments possible.

I wasn’t the only one with a packed schedule.  My cohort included doctors, surgeons, CEOs, VCs, owners of entrepreneurial ventures, and even a parent with eight kids. I am in awe by my classmates abilities to complete the program, not give-up, and still accomplish their work, family and EMHL goals.

Brown designed EMHL to be a rigorous and transformative leadership program that accommodates the needs of professionals with full careers and family lives.

If you’re thinking about doing this program, don’t worry about the workload or logistics. The Brown program takes care of that for you from its intelligent sequencing of coursework and efficient delivery of content online and in residence sessions.

In making the decision to take the EMHL plunge, stay focused on why you want to do the program. If it’s to be a healthcare leader, than I can’t recommend EMHL enough.  

Singh continued by explaining how his coursework, specifically the Critical Challenge Project (CCP), an EMHL capstone requirement, facilitated his ambitious goals at work.

From day one, I was integrating coursework into my day-to-day professional life. The CCP is the most obvious example. I focused my CCP on the development of a business plan for a rideshare service for patients at John Hopkins. Once again, thanks to the brilliant design of the EMHL program, all my coursework fed into my CCP.

The result of access to this collective braintrust was a much stronger business blueprint than I would have been able to produce on my own. I was constantly modifying and improving my plan based on invaluable and diverse perspectives from my experienced cohort members and ivy league faculty across the healthcare industry.

When asked about the value he has derived from the program, he answered,

I started my job as COO at OHL halfway through the program. I give a tremendous amount of credit to EMHL for my ability to perform in this new role. The coursework and network of my fellow classmates and professors gave me the confidence, and critically broadened my knowledge to take on new challenges today and into the future.

To learn more about the exciting work that Singh is doing at OHL, check out, More Beds for Addiction are Coming to New Orleans with Odyssey House Facility

Want to connect with an admission advisor?

X