Veronique Ameye EMBA ’15 – From Senior Counsel to General Counsel

IE Brown 2015 Veronique Ameye recently traveled from London to Providence RI to attend the Brown University Executive Alumni Summit. We took this opportunity to find out how her IE Brown journey fueled her move from Senior Counsel of global M&A, Commercial Asia Pacific at Alere to General Counsel at LumiraDx.

How did IE Brown help you transition in the healthcare sector from senior counsel at a traditional company to general counsel at a startup?

My general counsel role is more business oriented than my previous position. IE Brown strengthened my strategic business skills to deliver on this larger corporate mission.

With its demanding curriculum and experiences like the South Africa immersion session, IE Brown forced me out of my comfort zone and gave me the confidence to take on risk and lead new initiatives.

The program also enriched my network with cohort members from across the world in different industries. To this day, these colleagues – as well as the amazing mentor I was assigned to – continue to help me see issues from different perspectives. It sounds like a cliche but it’s this multi-perspective approach and support that gives you the courage to be open-minded, think outside the box, and act strategically with greater insight.

Why did you decide to pursue an executive MBA degree?

I always wanted to do an MBA program but I got sidetracked by my demanding career. When I finally had time, I felt too senior for an MBA so I started looking at executive MBAs. Initially, I wanted to improve the business skills that lawyers generally don’t have, like finance. But I also wanted something with an international perspective.

Why did you choose IE Brown?

I chose IE Brown because it combined a strong business curriculum with Brown’s beyond business slant – capitalism with a purpose. We all want to make a living but a lot of people at IE Brown think about how they can pursue a career with meaning and make a difference in the world.

Can you tell us more about the South Africa immersion session?

South Africa was one of the highlights of the program. We got hands-on experience doing business in the developing world where there are huge growth opportunities. We were assigned to projects in different areas – sanitation, energy… in advance but found the reality in the field completely different than what we expected.

To pivot, we applied the skills we learned in ethnography and economics to really listen to local entrepreneurs and their customers, and flesh out the local business ecosphere.

What did you think of the Brown Executive Alumni Summit

It was an amazing mix of topics and discussion from cybersecurity to artificial intelligence to healthcare… It was like being back in the program. I returned to London full of new business ideas and more energized than ever.

Veronique Amey, IE Brown Class of 2015

Want to know more about the IE Brown Executive MBA or connect with an admissions advisor?

X