Converting Big Data into Real-time Impact for Improved Patient Outcomes, Marianne James EMHL 2015

Congratulations to EMHL ’15 alumna and Cincinnati Children’s Chief Information Officer Marianne James on the critical role her EMHL work played in Children’s award-winning healthcare IT integration. HIMSS recently recognized Children’s rich IT environment with Stage 7 revalidation on the HIMSS Analytics Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model (EMRAM).

James work at EMHL, specifically her Critical Challenge Project (CCP), was recognized as an innovative use of healthcare IT. According to James,

“Like all new EMHL entrants, my CCP topic was overly lofty in its goals and objectives. By working closely with EMHL’s outstanding faculty and Children’s medical staff I refined my topic to focus on leveraging the data available through our Epic implementation to provide clinicians the best way to see real-time data to optimize pre-visit planning and improve adherence to medications, a significant challenge for children with transplanted kidneys. I take great pride in the work that we achieved.”

marianne

In the announcement, HIMSS paid special attention to the Kidney Transplant team’s work – based on James’ CCP – for their innovative use of information technology to improve adherence. HIMSS elaborated in their press release,

“The team uses a pre-visit planning reporting tool that integrates data from multiple sources, including the EHR. It includes risk scoring, ‘smart’ pillbox data which is created when a patient opens an electronic pillbox, and patient adherence questionnaires. With this information, the transplant team works with each patient to strategize and overcome adherence barriers.”

Commenting on EMHL’s role in this achievement, James said,

“EMHL gave me a unique experience to interact with a talented pool of remarkable senior professionals who spanned the healthcare leadership landscape. The time we spent together building relationships and learning from each other could not be replicated in a standard online program. Our interactions as a cohort, with faculty and guest lecturers, broadened our collective thinking”.

She continued,

“I’ve been at Children’s for nearly 30 years. I have a passion for child health, but the Brown program gave me a revitalized interest in making real and lasting change by truly putting patients at the center. It was a once in a lifetime experience.”

To read the HIMSS press release, go here.

Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn to join our conversation on transforming healthcare.

Want to connect with an admission advisor?

X